Tuesday, August 28, 2012

ISN day 1

Today was the 2nd day of school. We took the entire period to set up our spiral and we did not finish. Our class periods are 45 minutes long and I foresee it taking another 15 minutes or so tomorrow to get the table of contents in. When the students came in today they picked up a copy of the directions for the left and right sides, STAAR formula chart and a packet with explanations on how to do some of the output strategies.
Before I get in to explaining how we put everything together today in class, I want to share pictures of how I planned it out, then at the end of this post you will see the pages completed.



 Notice that the pages are numbered. Odd numbers are on the right and Even are on the Left. I have a title sticky note and another sticky to explain what will be on that page. For the picture below, I know there will be two things on that page and I let myself know how to put it in.  


 Explaining it to the students:
I told them that this was THEIR spiral and will have their work in it and I want them to own it and enjoy using it. I also told them that if they want to decorate the front cover with pictures and cover it with packing tape or contact paper they could. I showed them my cover from last year’s spiral.
We printed the papers they got today on colored paper so it would be easier for them to find and it would help us explain. The first thing we did was tape the formula sheet inside the cover of the spiral. The very first page of the ISN is their Title page. We are having them draw an ologist. They pick what type of scientists they would like to be and draw the scientist as that science. For example, a student who wants to study meteorology could draw a tornado as the scientist or a cloud. They will be working on their ologist tomorrow in class so I had them number the top right corner of the page (1) and write their first and last name, science and my name (Mrs. Page) on the top right corner. See my example below:
  

 Pages 2 and 3 contain the information to help the students understand what goes where in their spiral
On page 5 we glued in a flip chart about the different type of strategies they will be using on the left side of their spiral. By this time we had to clean up. Tomorrow for a warm up they will be doing a vinn diagram about what goes on the right page vs the left page in their ISN page 4 (across from flip chart). It is set up so that the input (flip chart) is across from the output (vinn diagram)
After the warm up tomorrow we will set up our table of contents for the first six weeks on pages 6 and 7

No comments:

Post a Comment